When your skin is hydrated it will look healthier and glowing. Rich moisturisers will work best in a hot and dry climate, and a lighter moisturiser in a humid climate.
But there are other things you can do that are important and you know them well, but do you do them?
- Exfoliate your face twice a week to remove dead skin and boost the blood circulation of the face.
- Look for skin care that contains Hyaluronic acid which helps with the skin retain more moisture. Hyaluronic acid is able to hold up to approximately a thousand times its weight in water, which is why moisturising products with this ingredient always work better.
- Use a mild unscented soap on the body and only cleanser on the face for your skin type.
- Drink more water. We need about 8 glasses of water a day, but in the summer months it should be increased to 10 glasses. Flavour it with lemon or mint so that the body really benefits and absorbs the water.
- Take good quality supplements containing zinc, selenium, and vitamins C and E which kill free radicals and are much loved by the skin.
- Eat a well-balanced diet full of fruit and green vegetables, This absorbs into the body quicker than water. Liquidising them into a drink is also very refreshing. I do this once a day with various other good foods, such as wheatgrass.
- Reduce your intake of alcoholic and caffeinated drinks as they dehydrate your body more, as does food with high sodium.
- Cook from scratch so that you know what’s on your plate.